Do get involved with the 2M Group! Two million voices against Heathrow expansionJanuary 15, 2008 at 5:18 am | Posted in 2M Group, Aircraft noise maps, Airport questions, Campaign, Consultation, DfT, Heathrow airport, Heathrow expansion, News, Public exhibitions, Public meetings, Resources, Responses, Runway maps, Ruth Kelly, Speak up!, Threats, Two million voices | 1 Comment
Many organisations and individuals are committed to supporting Heathrow, but not its expansion along lines proposed by the Government.
Many residents of the Heathrow area are determined to block proposals for a third runway, a sixth terminal and other developments that will see the obliteration of Sipson forever.
Many local authorities and local people object to the impact on our quality of life due to significant increases in the number of flights that ‘adding capacity at Heathrow’ enables.
Many concerned people around the world will fight to stop Heathrow expansion because of the inevitable environmental impacts that will result—including significant increases in greenhouse gas emissions that will exacerbate climate change.
The membership comprises the London Boroughs of Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Kensington and Chelsea, Merton, Richmond and Wandsworth, the boroughs of Slough, Spelthorne and Windsor and Maidenhead and South Bucks District Council.
We aim to present a common voice for the 2 million people whose quality of life is affected by Heathrow.
Members are not anti-Heathrow but feel passionately that the Government consistently fails to either acknowledge or assess the airport’s full environmental impact.
Please visit the 2M website to find out more about:
where you will find a comprehensive and professional source of information:
The 2M Group represents 2 million people affected by Heathrow expansion
- Speaking up for the community
- The Government’s expansion plans
- Public meetings and exhibitions – new
- Seven key threats
- Responding to the consultation
- The 2M position
- Proposed runway map
- An area guide to aircraft noise – new
- 20 airport questions for Ruth Kelly – new
- Heathrow expansion news
- Latest Wandsworth news
- Have your say and sign up to the campaign
** Sign up to the campaign to stop Heathrow expansion at www.stopheathrowexpansion.com **
From the list above, I shall simply post these two items, to encourage you to check out the 2M Group website yourself:
Seven key threats
- A new third runway – creating a new flightpath across west London and bringing noisier aircraft across parts of south London.
- New mixed mode operations – where each existing runway is used concurrently for both arrivals and departures.
- Restricting relief from runway alternation during the day – planes currently switch runways at 3pm every day.
- Ending the Cranford agreement which restricts take offs to the east from the northern runway.
- A planning application to lift the 480,000 annual movements limit set as a condition of Terminal Five – this could now go as high as 720,000.
- A new Terminal Six to support the third runway.
- A review of westerly preference – where planes normally descend from the east.
Proposed runway maps
The maps below are not definitive but provide an indication of likely routes for flight paths serving a new third runway.
Current and projected flight paths for aircraft arriving at Heathrow:
Current and projected flight paths for aircraft departing from Heathrow: